CHEM 512 Addendum for Takehome Test 2, Spring 2008 (25 points) Name_________________
Due Friday April 4, 2008
- What uses could DSC (differential scanning calorimetry) be used for in the following industries? ( 5 points)
- pharmaceutical industry
- thermoplastic polymer production
- themoelastomer rubber industry
- To what uses can a TGA (thermogravimetric analyzer) be put? What types of experiments can this instruments be used for? (5 points)
- What are the advatages and disadvantages to atomic absorption spectroscopy and ion coupled plasma spectrscopy in determing metal concentration. Compare and contrast these two methods. (10 points)
- In mass spectrometry, the parent ion is sometimes not stable and not observed in the mass spectrum. Conversely a peak is sometimes observed at half the mass of the molecular ion. Why might these situations occur?
- Any nucleus with a non-zero spin can theoretically be used for nuclear magnetic resonance spectra. what are the selection rules to determine whether a nucleus has a half-integral spin (i.e. 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, etc.) or an integral spin (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc.)?