Make your own free website on Tripod.com

CHEMISTRY 102 A, FALL 2006, DR. DELANEY

TEXT: "General Chemistry," 7th Ed., Darrel Ebbing & Steven Gammon, Houghton Mifflin, New York, NY (2002).
Optional: Chemistry 102 Final Test Bank

Week
Topic
Aug21Intro, Concentration Units, Titrations, Solutions, Chapters 4 & 12
Aug 28Colligative Prpoerties, Chapter 12
Sep 4Labor Day Holdiay
Sep 6Rates of Reaction, Chapter 14
Sep 11Rates of Reaction, continued; Test 1: Friday, Sep 15, Chapters 4, 12 & 14
Sep 18Chemical Equilibria, Chapter 15
Sep 25Thermochemistry, Chapter 6
Oct 2Thermodynamics, Chapter 19; Test 2, Oct 6, Chapters 15, 6 & 19
Oct 9Electrochemistry, Chapter 20
Oct 16Acids and Bases, Chapter 16
Oct 23Acid-Base Equilibria, Chapter 17, Test 3, Friday, Oct 27, Chapters 20, 16 & 17
Oct 30Solubility and Complex Ion Equilibria, Chapter 18
Nov 6Solubility and Complex Ion Equilibria continued, Chapter 18; Coordination Compounds, Chapter 25
Nov 13Coordination Compounds continued, Chapter 25, Test 4 Friday, Nov 17, Chapters 18 & 25
Nov 20-224Thanksgiving Holiday Week
Nov 27Review of Test 4, Review for Final
Dec 7Finals Week: CHEM 102 A Final: Thursday, Dec 7, 8:00 - 1O:00


The above syllabus is only an approximate guide relative to timing of lectures. To get the most out of lectures, students should read the material prior to the lecture. Subjects may be covered more slowly or more quickly as appropriate. The grading scale is a ten point grading scale. There will be 4 homework assignments of 25 points and 3 hourly tests plus the final (Your lowest hourly test grade will be dropped from your average). The apportionment of points is shown below:

These numbers account for the lecture portion of your grade. The lecture portion of your grade accounts for 75% of your grade while your performance in the 102+ lab accounts for the other 25% of your grade (an additional 167 possible points).

Hourly Tests:300 points
Homework:100 points
Final:100 points
Lab:167 points
Total Points:667 points

A = 100-90; B = 89-80; C = 79-70; D = 69-60; F = 59-0

Students are strongly encouraged to attend all class meetings. Excused absences for tests include only illness (with a doctor's excuse), university functions, or a death in the immediate family. If you have other problems please contact Dr. Delaney prior to the test if possible.

Office: Kirkman 215A Research Lab: Kirkman 215

Office Hours: MWF 10:00 - 10:50, MW 1:00 - 3:00, TTh 10:00 - 1:00
Other hours by appointment

Office Phone: (337) 475-5956
Lab Phone: (337) 475-5956
e-mail: delaney@mail.mcneese.edu or chemprof2001@yahoo.com

Website: Many of the supplemental materials needed for this course may appear on the website
http://chemprof.tripod.com/fall06.htm. Do not put ANY www's in this address since it will lead to a 404 error page, File Not Found message. The same material may be found on the McNeese Blackboard site.

Diversity Statement: Students should visit the MSU webpage at http://www.mcneese.edu/policy/diversity.htm for information about diversity awareness and sexual harassment policies and procedures.

ADA Statement: Students with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills are encouraged and have the responsibility to contact their instructor, in a timely fashion, regarding reasonable accommodation needs. Any student with a disability is encouraged to contact the office of Services for Students with Disabilities in Drew Hall, Room 200, (337) 475-5916. It is each students responsibility to register with the office of Services for Students with Disabilities when requesting a reasonable accommodation.