Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Post-Rita: CHEMISTRY 101 A2, FALL 2005, DR. DELANEY

TEXT: "General Chemistry," 7th Ed., Darrel Ebbing & Steven Gammon, Houghton Mifflin, New York, NY (2002).
Optional: Chemistry 101 Final Test Bank

Week
Topic
Aug22How to study Chemistry, Review of Matter & Measurement , Chapter 1
Aug 29Atoms, Molecules and Ions, Chapter 2; Quantum Theory & Electronic Structure of the Atom, Chapter 7
Sep 5Labor Day Holdiay
Sep 7Qauntum Theory & Electronic Structure of the Atom continued, chapter 7; Test 1: Friday, Sep 9, Chapters 1, 2 & 7
Sep 12Electron Configuration & Periodicity, Chapter 8
Sep 19Ionic and Covalent Bonding Chapter 9
Oct 28Distribution of Modified Syllabus
Oct 31Molecular Geometry and Chemical Bonding Theory (VSEPR, Valence Bond and Molecular Orbital theory), Chapter 10
Nov 7Calculations with Chemical Formulas and Equations, Chapter 3
Nov 14Calculations with Chemical Formulas and Equations continued, Test 2: Friday, Nov 18, Chapters 3, 8 - 10
Nov 21Chemical Reactions, Chapter 4
Nov 24Thanksgiving Holiday
Nov 28Gas Laws, Chapter 5
Dec 5Nuclear Chemistry, Chapter 21
Dec 12Test 3, Monday, December 12, Chaps. 4, 5, & 21
Dec 14Review, Balancing Redox Equations, Chapters 3 & 20
Dec 17Final: Saturday, Dec 17, 8:00 - 10:00 AM


The above syllabus is only an approximate guide relative to timing of lectures. To get the most out of lectures, students should read the material prior to the lecture. Subjects may be covered more slowly or more quickly as appropriate. The grading scale is a ten point grading scale. There will be 4 homework assignments of 25 points and 3 hourly tests plus the final. Extra credit assignments will be made available to the class. The apportionment of points is shown below:

These numbers account for the lecture portion of your grade. The lecture portion of your grade accounts for 75% of your grade while your performance in the 101+ lab accounts for the other 25% of your grade (an additional 167 possible points).

Hourly Tests:300 points
Homework:75 points
Final:100 points
Lab:158 points
Total Points:633 points



A = 100-90; B = 89-80; C = 79-70; D = 69-60; F = 59-0

Students are strongly encouraged to attend all class meetings. Excused absences for tests include only illness (with a doctor's excuse), university functions, or a death in the immediate family. If you have other problems please contact Dr. Delaney prior to the test if possible.

Office: Kirkman 215A Research Lab: Kirkman 215

Office Hours: MWF 7:40 - 8:40, MW 1:00 - 3:00, TTh 10:00 - 1:00
Other hours by appointment

Office Phone: (337) 475-5956
Lab Phone: (337) 475-5956
e-mail: delaney@mail.mcneese.edu or chemprof2001@yahoo.com

Website: Many of the supplemental materials needed for this course may appear on the website
http://chemprof.tripod.com/fall05.htm. Do not put ANY www's in this address since it will lead to a 404 error page, File Not Found message.

Diversity Statement: Students should visit the MSU webpage at http://www.mcneese.edu/policy/diversity.htm for information about diversity awareness and sexual harassment policies and procedures.

ADA Statement: Students with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills are encouraged and have the responsibility to contact their instructor, in a timely fashion, regarding reasonable accommodation needs. Any student with a disability is encouraged to contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities in Drew Hall, Room 200, (337) 475-5916. It is each students responsibility to register with the office of Services for Students with Disabilities when requesting a reasonable accommodation.