Make your own free website on Tripod.com

SYLLABUS CHEM 690 GRADUATE RESEARCH

You will be expected to work in the lab on your research project at least three times the number of credit hours of research that you signed up for each week. In reality, to maintain adequate progress toward the completion of your project and thesis, 2-3 times (or more) that number of hours may be required. A literature search is excpected on the project. The student is also expected to perform safely in the laboratory. The student is are expected to keep a lab notebook for primary data. At the end of the semester, a report on your research project should be turned in. Three copies are required, one should be given to your research director, another to the instructor of record for CHEM 690, and the third should be turned into the Chemistry Office. The format for the report should be that indicated by your research advisor (but will most likely be very similar to the format given in the ACS link below.). Failure to turn in the report will result in a grade of "I" for the course, which will be removed when the report is turned in the following semester. Delay further than that will result in the "I" turning into an "F".

You are highly encouraged to write complete experimental sections and make the report as finished as possible. The reason for this, is that you will then be able to use those experimental sections and some of the discussion portions in your thesis, lessening the writing load later.


Objectives

After completing the course the student sill have

Assessment

A large portion of the grade (80%) will be assigned by the student's research advisor based upon the student's skill and expertise in the lab, and command of the philosophy of the research project. The remaining 20% will be determined by the written research report.

Guide to Grading Policy

AExceeds one or more of expectations in quality of work or productivity.
BFulfilled all expectations, i.e, performed background literature search, experimental work, and wrote a research report that meets the guidelines established by the research advisor.
CDeficient in one of the expectations listed above.
DDeficient in more than one of the expectations listed above.
FDeficient in all expectations listed above.


Useful Links


Safety: http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=education\cpt\ts_safety.html.

Ethics: http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=education\cpt\ts_ethics.html).

Students should also read the McNeese policy on scientific misconduct at http://www.mcneese.edu/policy/profethics.php.

Record Keeping: http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=government%5Cpublications%5Ctech_rkfactsheet.html.

Report Formats: http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=education\cpt\ts_rrguide.html.

For information on literature searches, the student may wish to refer to the most recent syllabus for PHSC 300 Scientific Literature at

http://chemprof.tripod.com/phsc300.htm

and also to

http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=education\cpt\ts_cheminfo.html.


Diversity Statement: Students should visit the MSU webpage at http://www.mcneese.edu/policy/diversity.htm for information about diversity awareness and sexual harassment policies and procedures.

ADA Statement: Students with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills are encouraged and have the responsibility to contact their instructor, in a timely fashion, regarding reasonable accommodation needs. Such students should also contact The Officed of Services for Students with Disabilities at Kaufman Hall Rm. 119, Box 92904, Lake Charles, LA 70609, Phone: (337) 475-5916, 1-800-622-3352 ext. 5916, Fax: (337) 475-5878, email: ssd@mcneese.edu for reasonable accommodation needs.