CHEM 512 Addendum for Takehome Test 3 (25 points) Name____________________
- What uses could DSC (differential scanning calorimetry) be used for in the following industries? ( 5 points)
- pharmeceutical industry
- thermoplastic polymer production
- thermoelastomer rubber industry
- To what uses can a TGA (thermogravimetric analyzer) be put? What types of experiments can this instruments can this instruments be used for? (5 points)
- What are the advatages and disadvantages to atomic absorption spectroscopy and ion coupled plasma spectrscopy in determing metal concentration. Compare and contrast these two methods. (10 points)
- In mass spectrometry, the parent ion is sometimes not stable and not observed in the mass spectrum. Conversely a peak is sometimes observed at half the mass of the molecular ion. Why might this occur?
- Whyare the linewidths in 2H (nuclear spin=1), 11B (nulear spin=3/2) and 27Al (nuclear spin=5/2) broader than 1H (nuclear spin=1/2) and 13C (nuclear spin=1/2).